TORONTO - Tony Marcu claims he’s a porn loser.
Marcu, who goes by the stage name of “Craig”, has just filed a $100 million lawsuit against the Canadian government alleging their negligence ruined his chances of becoming a millionaire adult film actor and producer in his native Romania.
“The Great Canadian Male” star wanted to take his talents to Europe and make it big. Instead, the unemployed porn actor is back in Toronto, collecting welfare and living in a rooming house, and he blames the RCMP for their 10-month delay in issuing him the police clearance he needed to open his adult film business in Romania.
With his bleached blond hair, the 38-year-old sits in the corner of his tiny room and bemoans the bureaucracy that dashed a dream that began when he was just a child. “In Grade 1 I saw a porn magazine from Denmark and I wanted to be like those guys,” he insists with a laugh. “It’s all about love, that’s what I like.”
Hmm, love. Who knew?
Instead of pursuing a career as a sex pinup, Marcu got a degree in business administration and worked as a bank manager. But as a “hobby”, he posed for nude photos and made amateur porn films with his friends and when he moved back to Romania a few years ago with his wife and son, he decided to pursue his calling in the sex business.
According to his statement of claim, Marcu planned to open an “e-commerce-based company that imports sex health products from Canada, sex toys and ice wine, along with the production of adult films, sales and erotic massage services.”
“Ice wine?” he’s asked.
“It’s good for sex, wine is always good for sex,” Marcu laughs.
He had $10,000 in savings to invest, bank loans in place and a business plan that projected a rather optimistic $34 million a month. When questioned on his fanciful projections, Marcu insists porn work is a goldmine: For his first starring role in “The Great Canadian Male,” he made $300 an hour and he’s currently up for a part promising an hourly rate of $1,000.
To incorporate any business in Romania, porn-related or not, you have to produce a criminal background check. As a dual citizen, Marcu needed one from each country. His Romanian police clearance took two days. The RCMP website warned their wait time was 12 weeks and outlined the steps necessary — all of which Marcu says he followed.
“When you apply from a foreign country, you go to the local police station,” he explains. “They took my fingerprints in front of the Chief and the Chief must sign a seal stamp and write, ‘Taken in front of me,’ the date and place.
“Then along with your application form filled out and a $25 money order fee payable to the Receiver General, you mail them to RCMP headquarters in Ottawa.”
Then he waited. And waited some more.
Marcu says he began e-mailing the RCMP in November, checking on the status of his request. He finally got a response in the new year: His application had been registered Jan. 18, 2011. “CFSS (Civil Fingerprinting Screening Services) processes more than 15,000 criminal record searches every month,” the e-mail warned. “Processing time is currently in excess of 120 days.”
Why did three months elapse before his application was even filed? And why did it take another seven months before he finally received his clearance? By then, it was too late.
“It’s too much,” he complains. “You’re losing customers, you miss the business opportunity, you lose the potential profit.”
And so he’s claiming $100 million in losses.
The RCMP, which had no comment, has yet to file a statement of defence. None of Marcu’s allegations have been proven in court.
Tired of waiting in Romania, Marcu returned here with no business, no job and no savings. He now spends his days at the local library, using the computer to search for acting parts in the local adult film industry.
Was he going to make millions if not for the RCMP’s backlog? That’s rather hard to believe. But there’s no denying that the unfair delay has been too much for the porn star to bare, er, bear.