Grieving husband Colin Cross is taking legal action in his quest for answers as to how his wife died in Mexico earlier this month.
Calgarian Ronda Cross, 41, died while scuba diving off the coast of Cabo San Lucas on March 3, a death her family believes was caused by carbon monoxide contamination in the compressed air tanks she and two colleagues used.
Her husband said he has been assured by the Canadian consulate an investigation is underway, but in the meantime, he's retained legal representation out of San Diego.
"The scuba tanks and all the gear and everything like that is being held," Colin said.
"It's (all) being tested and it is being investigated.
"I actually am starting to work now with the consulate on a regular basis ... yes, legal action is being taken -- I do have a lawyer in San Diego who is working with me on it."
Colin declined further comment on the proceedings, saying he didn't want to jeopardize anything currently underway.
He said he's been advised by his lawyer not to say too much.
While Colin continues the long wait for answers, he's also involved in setting up a charity called RONDA (Representation of Needed Divers' Assistance) that will help other families.
"We will be redirecting any donations or anything like that to assisting families if they're having a problem getting a loved one out of the country or if there's a fatality," he said.
"We're also going to be making public some of the things that would prevent this in the future ... I want this to benefit other people."
His wife's funeral was March 10.
A report in the Mexican online publication Sudcaliforniano stated Ronda's cause of death was asphyxiation by drowning, as did a woman employed by the funeral home which received Cross' body.
Police in Cabo San Lucas reportedly shut down the company that Colin believes supplied the air tanks used in the fatal dive and seized devices for testing.
The company denied it had anything to do with the incident or even knowledge it occurred.
Reached by phone in Mexico, diving instructor Jorge Eauchateau said he believes carbon monoxide was the culprit.
On Twitter: @SUNDamienWood