|A massive landslide destroyed three homes in Johnsons Landing, B.C. on July 12, 2012. (Handout/Regional District of Central Kootenay)
Hope is dimming in the search for bodies buried in last week's mudslide in Johnsons Landing, B.C., where efforts were put on hold Wednesday.
The B.C. Coroners Service told reporters the search was halted to allow a geotechnical assessment and they do not know when the search will resume.
"We have to consider there is potential we may never locate the other two victims," coroner Lisa Lapointe said.
Johnsons Landing was the first of three spots in southeastern B.C. to be hit with a mudslide in the last week.
The July 12 slide destroyed three homes and killed four people: German traveller Petra Frehse, 64, Valentine Webber, 60, and his two daughters, Rachel, 17, and Diana, 21.
Webber's body was recovered on Sunday and one of his daughters was found the next day. Authorities haven't said whether it was Rachel or Diana.
More than 20 searchers have been using excavators and other heavy equipment all week in the search for the second daughter and Frehse.
Meanwhile, residents from three evacuated homes in Thrums, B.C., were given the OK to return after flash-flooding caused a small-scale mudslide there Tuesday night.
Hwy. 3A between Castlegar, B.C., and Nelson, B.C., was closed several hours as officials removed debris.
Massive cleanup efforts are underway in Fairmont Hot Springs, B.C., where vacationers were cut off.
The Sunday afternoon slide stranded as many as 600 campers in the Fairmont Hot Springs Resort RV Park for nearly 24 hours after washing out an access road and damaging a pedestrian bridge.