|Barrie police began their criminal investigation on Sunday of the Virgilwood Crescent home of William Feldhoff, which is still surrounded by police tape, after ensuring the house is safe. (QMI Agency/IAN MCINROY)
BARRIE, ONT. - A Barrie man arrested in connection with a 1978 murder and a house allegedly full of bombs appeared in court via video link Friday morning.
William Feldhoff, 75, made a second appearance to face charges relating to a murder 34 years ago.
Feldhoff was arrested after his son Donald Feldhoff, 54, walked into the police station on July 11 to allegedly to confess to the murder of Michael Traynor, 26, who died Sept. 1978 of gunshot wounds to his chest. Traynor’s wrists and ankles were wrapped in copper wire and he was buried in a shallow grave in Springwater, Ont.
Feldhoff not only implicated his father as an accessory after the fact, but also told police of potential bombs at his parents’ home on Virgilwood Crescent.
Police evacuated 22 homes from Virgilwood for just over a week, while they removed 83 incendiary explosive devices, in addition to almost 30 weapons, plus ammunition from his home.
Barrie police may lay additional charges against William for both the firearms and IEDs, Sgt. Valerie Gates said.
“It could be a couple more weeks before they decide about additional charges,” Gates said Friday.
Feldhoff’s next court appearance by video-link is scheduled for Aug. 3.
Donald Feldhoff, who faces a first-degree murder charge, will appear in court July 31.
Both men remain in custody at the Central North Correctional Centre in Penetanguishene.
Police wrapped up their investigation of the Feldhoffs’ Virgilwood Crescent home earlier this week.