Frequent transit user Richard Wood, 66, says he was left bloodied on the floor of an OC Transpo bus after the driver took a hard right turn on Monday. Although the crash damaged his wheelchair, he says the transit agency hasn't offered him any compensation - or even an apology. (TONY SPEARS/Ottawa Sun/QMI Agency)
OTTAWA - Two weeks after a wheelchair-bound senior said he was left bleeding on the floor of an OC Transpo bus while supervisors snapped photos, transit officials have finally said sorry.
“I apologized for the fact that he got injured aboard our bus,” said transit operations manager Troy Charter, who first spoke with Richard Wood on Friday.
“We’re looking at what actions we could do in the future to prevent this from happening to anyone.”
But Transpo is also disputing part of Wood’s story. Wood, 66, says he crashed to the floor of a No. 85 bus after the driver took a speedy right turn on Sept. 10.
He says he then lay on the floor while the driver called supervisors, who photographed Wood without helping him up.
Charter said the supervisor’s report told a different tale.
“By the time the supervisor arrived, the gentleman had already been righted,” Charter said.
Wood, however, stuck to his story. “That’s not true,” he said.
Wood’s wheelchair is still damaged and fits him poorly; repairs will cost him at least $160. Wood was told to contact the city’s claims department.
Transpo is still trying to ascertain the driver’s speed.