Rizzuto returned to Montreal this week: Sources

Vito Rizzuto, shown in this undated photo. (PABLO DURANT/QMI Agency)

Vito Rizzuto, shown in this undated photo. (PABLO DURANT/QMI Agency)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 6:12 PM ET

MONTREAL — Besieged mob boss Vito Rizzuto, who had been in Toronto since his return to Canada earlier this month, finally made a trip to his hometown of Montreal this week, sources tell QMI Agency.

Over the past three years, top leaders in his Montreal-based crime family have been kidnapped or killed.

The 66-year-old's return to Canada coincides with another round of mysterious firebombings in Montreal's Little Italy district.

Four businesses have been torched in the past three days, with the latest attack coming Friday morning when a Molotov cocktail was tossed through the window of a gym. No one has been arrested.

Former Montreal police major-crimes director Richard Dupuis said the fact that all four attacks happened in Little Italy is suspicious.

"I think that police will make the connection given that we're talking about at least three similar firebombings," Dupuis said.

"Police will certainly dig deeper to see if there were threats."

The recent attacks come as no surprise to experts who had predicted a spike in violence once Rizzuto was let out of a U.S. prison after serving time for a Mob triple-murder in 1981.

Two street-gang members were shot and killed in August, and one analyst said it's highly probable that the victims were targeted due to their Rizzuto links.

Vito Rizzuto's father Nick Rizzuto Sr., Vito's son Nick Jr. and several other associates were murdered while he was in prison.


Videos

Photos