Ceiling caves in on man at Calgary seniors’ centre

QMI Agency

QMI Agency

NADIA MOHARIB, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 5:20 PM ET

CALGARY - Fire crews rescued a man trapped in bed at a seniors’ care centre after a water leak in the attic caused a portion of the ceiling to collapse early Thursday.

Fortunately, the man was not seriously hurt and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

The man in his 70s was one of about 45 people evacuated from their rooms at Newport Harbour Care Centre about 5 a.m. as water flowed from a cracked pipe in the attic to the rest of the building.

“Water was flowing quite substantially,” deputy fire chief, Ken Uzeloc, said at the Country Village Cove N.E. centre. “In some places it was four inches deep.”

Linda Bohnet, whose parents live there, got a call from her mom about the flooding.

She heard a fireman knock on her mother’s door, telling her she had to leave before the line went dead.

“It was chaos for a little while but everybody is good,” she said.

Displaced residents will be given accommodations in the centre while some have gone to stay with family, Newport Harbour’s vice-president of operations, Ian West, said.

nadia.moharib@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter @SUNNadiaMoharib


Photos