|Vito Rizzuto (QMI file photo)
MONTREAL - Mob boss Vito Rizzuto and his right-hand man will be must-see TV when they take the stand at the Charbonneau Commission, but it likely won't happen before the new year.
Judge France Charbonneau said Monday that the inquiry will adjourn for the Christmas break later this week, and so far the two crime figures aren't on the witness list.
Bailiffs stopped Rizzuto on the street last week and handed him a subpoena to testify at the inquiry into corruption and collusion in the construction industry. Raynald Desjardins received a summons earlier this fall.
A witness told the commission that the Rizzuto crime family received a 2.5% cut of all city of Montreal excavation contracts in the 1990s and 2000s. Two city bureaucrats also said they took a Caribbean golfing trip with Rizzuto in the late 1990s.
The commission wants to know more about the ties between the Mafia, bureaucrats and construction contractors.
RCMP surveillance video screened at the inquiry shows several of the city contractors handing stacks of cash to Rizzuto's late father, Nick, at the family's former lair in east-end Montreal.
Aside from being a Rizzuto associate, Desjardins is also a construction businessman who escaped an assassination attempt last year. He's one of the few non-Italians to have cracked Vito Rizzuto's inner circle.
Desjardins is in jail awaiting trial for the murder of aspiring crime boss Salvatore "Sal the Ironworker" Montagna.
Desjardins went to court to quash his inquiry subpoena, but a judge turned him down.