Tour bus company questions crash investigation

An employee at the MI JOO Tour and Travel Ltd peeks through the door in Coquitlam, British...

An employee at the MI JOO Tour and Travel Ltd peeks through the door in Coquitlam, British Columbia, Monday January 7, 2013. (CARMINE MARINELLI/Vancouver 24hrs/QMI AGENCY)

MICHAEL MUI, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 7:58 AM ET

VANCOUVER - The U.S. Department of Transportation has its facts wrong about last month’s deadly Oregon bus crash in its decision to ban Coquitlam tour company Mi Joo Tour & Travel from operating in the States, a lawyer for the company said Wednesday.

Mi Joo lawyer Mark Scheer rejected a government claim that the company’s driver, Haeng-Kyu Hwang, had been on duty “for well beyond the 70-hour maximum” on Dec. 30 when the bus plunged down an embankment, killing nine people.

“Specifically, he had seven-and-a-half hours of sleep before they left the morning of the accident,” he told a Seattle press conference.


Videos

Photos