B.C. suspends bus company operations after deadly Oregon crash

Rescue personnel respond to the scene of a charter bus crash on I-84, east of Pendleton, Oregon in...

Rescue personnel respond to the scene of a charter bus crash on I-84, east of Pendleton, Oregon in this December 30, 2012 handout photo. (REUTERS/Oregon State Police/Handout)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 7:48 PM ET

B.C. has suspended the operation of the bus company involved in the crash that killed nine people and injured dozens more in Oregon last month.

The Transportation Ministry said Friday an investigation found Coquitlam-based Mi Joo Tour & Travel failed to comply with provincial law regarding driver hours and pre-trip inspections.

"Mi Joo Tour & Travel will not be allowed to operate its buses in Canada until it can demonstrate to the ministry that it has measures in place to ensure its drivers are adhering to the regulations," the statement said.

The province said the tour company is required to provide a "detailed response" to the ministry by Feb. 28.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Transportation ordered the company to stop operating south of the border. Its investigation found the tour company allowed bus driver Haeng Kyu Hwang to work "well beyond" the 70-hour maximum of service hours.

A pair of South Korean teenagers filed a lawsuit against the tour company Monday, the same day a Mi Joo employee told QMI Agency it was meeting with representatives from the transportation department.

"We are fully co-operating with those authorities investigating the accident and actively attempting to assist and ease the suffering of those affected by this accident," reads a statement posted outside Mi Joo's Vancouver office.

The charter bus heading to Vancouver from Las Vegas skidded off an icy mountain highway Dec. 30, coming to rest 200 feet down an embankment east of Pendleton.


Videos

Photos