Rob Ford calls media 'bunch of maggots'

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford at Newstalk 1010 for his radio show. (CRAIG ROBERTSON/QMI Agency)

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford at Newstalk 1010 for his radio show. (CRAIG ROBERTSON/QMI Agency)

Don Peat and Maryam Shah, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 12:44 AM ET

TORONTO -- The Ford brothers went on an all-out defensive against drug allegations Sunday.

Appearing on his weekly radio show, Mayor Rob Ford called the media a "bunch of maggots" and fired back at stories placing him in an alleged video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine.

He went so far as to say "there is no video."

His brother, councillor Doug Ford -- co-host of the brothers' Newstalk 1010 radio show -- also slammed the media and dismissed a Globe and Mail story alleging he dealt hashish in the 1980s.

"Obviously I want to address these false accusations or allegations, whatever you want to call it, against me," Mayor Ford told listeners. "This is all ridiculous.

"No matter what you say -- I've found out -- to the media you're never going to make them happy. You could give them 10 bars of gold and they're going to want (to say), 'Why didn't I get 15 bars of gold?' Folks, that's the media that we have unfortunately."

The mayor went on to call the majority of the media a "bunch of maggots."

Ford has been under a cloud of controversy since the U.S. gossip website, Gawker.com, published a report about the crack cocaine video and started an online campaign to raise $200,000 to buy it from those in the drug trade who filmed it.

A caller to the show asked Ford directly if it was him in the Gawker video and photographed with his arm around murder victim Anthony Smith.

"Number one, there is no video so that's all I can say. I can't comment on something that doesn't exist," Ford said. "And I take pictures with everybody. Everywhere I go, as of last night, I take pictures with everyone."

Councillor Ford, meanwhile, insisted allegations about him dealing hashish were "completely, undeniably false."

"I was not a dealer of hashish in the 1980s," Ford said. "I don't believe in uppers, downers, all arounders. I don't even take Aspirin."

The Fords also took aim at councillors, particularly those who voted against expanding gaming at Woodbine Racetrack during last week's council meeting on a casino.

The mayor described some councillors at City Hall as "unemployable" while councillor Ford said: "The vast majority (on council) couldn't get a job."

Mayor Ford refused to speak to reporters camped outside the radio studio Sunday.

On his way out of the studios, councillor Ford wouldn't say much more about the video controversy.

"I'm going to stick with what (the mayor) said. There was no video, there is no video, show us the video," he said.

The councillor also defended his brother calling the media "maggots."

"You've called him worse than that sometimes, not you necessarily," he told a reporter. "I think it was a good show and we can continue on with the business of the city."

Some councillors clearly weren't amused by the Ford show.

Councillor Josh Matlow took to his Twitter account to voice his displeasure shortly after the show wrapped up.

"In a city that has real important priorities, it's sad we have a mayor and his brother who seem to think this all one big football game," Matlow tweeted.

"In 2014, let's elect an honest, thoughtful, fiscally responsible, socially progressive and reasonable mayor who won't seek to divide our city."don.peat@sunmedia.ca


Videos

Photos