LAC-MEGANTIC, Que. - The Quebec government announced the second part of its plan to rebuild the centre of town devastated by a railway explosion last month.
Premier Pauline Marois said $16.2 million will be set aside for reconstruction in the area flattened by a crude-oil derailment, fire and explosion that killed 47 people July 6.
It was Canada's deadliest railway blast, affecting a 1.5-square kilometre area of the lakeside town near the Maine border.
"Today, we definitely have the first concrete foundations for the reconstruction of the city centre," Marois told a news conference.
"I am also proud to announce a contribution of just over $16 million from the Quebec government for the creation of a new commercial centre in Lac-Megantic."
A park in memory of the 47 victims will also be built in the heart of the disaster zone.
The funding announced Monday is part of a $60 million envelope announced shortly after the train wreck.