The Canadian National Exhibition had to stomach more food woes Wednesday.
Toronto Public Health announced it had closed two food booths at the CNE Tuesday night -- the same day it allowed cronut burger-maker Epic Burgers and Waffles to reopen following last week's food-borne illness outbreak.
Public health shut down Bourbon Street Grill and BAO 360 Shanghai Express along with a nearby truck trailer used for food preparation on Tuesday night.
The two eateries were operated by the same operator and the Ex has ordered them to stay closed for the remainder of the fair.
Public health's DineSafe website states that both restaurants were closed because the operator failed to prevent "gross unsanitary conditions."
Jim Chan, Toronto Public Health's manager of food safety, said an inspector identified "serious" food safety issues around sanitation, food handling practices and temperature control of hazardous food including meat and chicken. That prompted an order for the two booths to close immediately under the Health Protection and Promotion Act. Chan said around six charges were laid against the operator.
"(Food) was being processed and left out at room temperature and also displayed at room temperature," he said.
The Bourbon Street Grill received a conditional pass on the first day of opening at the Ex.
"The inspector continued to monitor for the past week and when they observed a serious offence (Tuesday) they issued an order," Chan said.
So far, public health has done 360 food inspections at the CNE and 31 places have received conditional passes.
The closure comes a week after dozens of people became ill when they ate the cronut burger at the CNE. That outbreak led to the voluntary closure of Epic Burgers and a full public health investigation. Health officials announced Tuesday the maple bacon jam topping on the burger was the source of the bacteria that caused the outbreak.
Epic Burgers announced Tuesday it had taken the cronut burger off the menu and was no longer dealing with Le Dolci -- the bakery that supplied the jam.
Despite the culinary controversies, CNE general manager David Bednar said they take food safety seriously at the fair.
"The Canadian National Exhibition is the safest place to eat a meal in the GTA," Bednar said.
Mayor Rob Ford was surprised to hear two food booths had been closed.
"I've never had a problem with it. I think they dealt with the cronut burger as best as they could and like I said, I thought it was safer than ever."