EDMONTON - Synthetic cannabis is being blamed for overdoses that sent two teens to hospital Monday afternoon.
Mounties say they found a 14-year-old boy unconscious and seizing in a back alley and a short time after the first call, they received another about a 16-year-old boy in medical distress in a school parking lot.
That teen has since been released from Edmonton hospital and has been able to talk to investigators. The younger boy remains in intensive care at Stollery Children's Hospital but is said to be breathing on his own.
Police believe the pair overdosed on "K2" or "Spice," which is created by spraying natural herbs with chemicals that supposedly mimic the effects of cannabis.
"We have to give a repetitive message that there is no such thing as a safe drug. A synthetic substance that someone has rationalized as being safe can lead to catastrophic outcomes," said David Keohane, Superintendent of Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools.
A criminal investigation has been launched to determine where the boys got the drug.