Rob Ford says sorry for 'mistakes'

Mayor Rob Ford at his first Newstalk 1010 radio show on Feb. 26. (CRAIG ROBERTSON, Toronto Sun)

Mayor Rob Ford at his first Newstalk 1010 radio show on Feb. 26. (CRAIG ROBERTSON, Toronto Sun)

Don Peat, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 11:08 PM ET

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford apologized Sunday for drunken "mistakes" and urged police chief Bill Blair to release the alleged crack video.

But Ford made it clear in the first few minutes of his Newstalk 1010 radio show that he won't be stepping aside temporarily or resigning in the wake of the ongoing crack cocaine controversy that has paralyzed his administration.

"I have made mistakes," Ford told listeners. "I sincerely, sincerely apologize to my family, to the citizens, the taxpayers of this great city and to my colleagues on Toronto city council."

Later in the show, Ford clarified that he was actually only apologizing for throwing a drunken party in his City Hall office during St. Patrick's Day and being "hammered" at the Taste of the Danforth.

Ford has been under fire since last Thursday when Blair revealed investigators now have a copy of the video that shows the mayor of Canada's largest city smoking what appears to be crack cocaine.

Although several councillors and senior advisers had been urging Ford to take a leave and let deputy mayor Norm Kelly take over for a short period, he made it clear he is "going to ride this storm out" and won't be quitting.

"I am going to continue doing my job that I was elected to do," Ford said, appearing to be on the verge of tears.

Ford said he will be making changes but committed only to getting a driver -- a proposition he has long resisted -- and curbing his drinking.

The mayor encouraged Blair to make the notorious video public.

"Chief, I'm asking you to release this video now," he said.

Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash repeated Sunday that the chief can't release the video.

"The law requires us to turn the videos or any evidence over to the courts," Pugash said. "That hasn't changed."

Later in an interview on AM640, Ford refused to talk about the video.

"I can't comment on a video that I have not seen. I want everybody to see this video or videos, I'm not quite sure how many videos," he said.

"I am not a crack addict, I am not an addict of any type of drug -- even alcohol. I am not an alcoholic."

Asked about Alexander Sandro Lisi -- his friend who is an alleged drug dealer now charged with extortion in connection with the crack video -- Ford maintained he couldn't talk about Lisi's case because it was before the courts.

An 81-year-old woman who called in to the show urged the mayor to take a medical leave and asked for Coun. Doug Ford to quit being the mayor's "enabler."

Both Fords objected to the "enabler" label.

Mayor Ford went on to urge the media to stop coming to his house.

"Just call me, we'll set up a meeting somewhere," Ford said.

After the Newstalk 1010 show, Ford rushed past reporters, jumped in his car and sped out of the parking garage.

- With files from Terry Davidson


Videos

Photos