Ice storm victims dead in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Vehicles drive around ice-covered tree branches that came down after freezing rain, blocking Mount...

Vehicles drive around ice-covered tree branches that came down after freezing rain, blocking Mount Pleasant Road in Toronto, Dec. 22, 2013. (REUTERS/Hyungwon Kang)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 1:58 AM ET

Two people are dead in Newcastle in a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.

Durham Regional Police say emergency services were called to home Monday about 3:30 p.m. about several people feeling ill. The home had a gas-powered generator running in the attached garage to supply electricity to help heat the home, police say.

A 52-year-old Newcastle man and his 72-year-old mother were rushed to Lakeridge Health Bowmanville where they were pronounced dead.

Police say there was no access to the house from the garage but the carbon monoxide still made its way inside the home. Newcastle had been without power since early Sunday due to the ice storm. Power was restored Monday evening to most of the town east of Toronto.


Videos

Photos