The number of homes without power is down significantly, but thousands across southern Ontario were still dealing with outages Tuesday morning after a winter storm on the weekend.
This includes about 90,000 homes in Toronto and 39,00 in other areas of the province.
Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines said it could be Thursday before electricity is restored.
"I think it's not only a possibility, it's a probability," Haines said Monday.
About 300,000 homes in Toronto, and another 145,000 Hydro One customers outside the city, went dark Sunday as a freezing rain system brought down tree branches and power lines all along the Hwy. 401 corridor.
Hydro crews are expected to come from other parts of the province and the United States to help restore power.
About 20,089 Hydro-Quebec customers remained without power late Tuesday afternoon, while NB Power reported 36,113 customers were still in the dark and Nova Scotia Power was also working to restore electricity to 1,621 homes.
Freezing rain warnings ended for much of the Maritimes by Tuesday morning, but snow and rain were still expected until at least Thursday. St. John's, N.L., was under a snowfall warning.
Two people died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator in Newcastle, Ont., located 80 km east of Toronto, Durham Regional Police said late Monday.
Toronto Fire Services says the number of carbon monoxide-related calls has spiked more than seven times in three days compared to last year. As of Tuesday afternoon, there had been 283 carbon monoxide-related calls since Saturday compared to 42 calls for the same time frame last year.
A 72-year-old woman and 12-year-old girl were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after using a charcoal barbecue to heat their northwest Toronto home. They’re expected to recover.
In Quebec, two men and a woman were found dead in a remote cabin north of Sept-Iles after police said they used a propane heater to stay warm, although it was unclear if the deaths were storm related.