Man loses house in fire possibly sparked by return of power

Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun

, Last Updated: 10:50 AM ET

Jury Onyszczak smoked a cigarette in his blue pickup truck as he watched firefighters work on the charred remains of his red-brick two-storey semi-detached home.

A thick album of family photographs — not recovered from the early morning fire but borrowed from his brother who lives nearby — sat on the floor beside him.

He said he lost everything in the fire that engulfed the house he bought from his first wife’s grandfather in 1978.

“It’s really hard,” Onyszczak said. “The house, I don’t care, it can be fixed, but the things you collect, you know. My mother’s pictures, my father’s pictures, all this is gone.”

As of Thursday night, the probable cause of the fire was a power surge that may have affected an appliance still plugged in when power was restored, Toronto Fire Service said.

“They can’t of anything else that would’ve started the fire,” Capt. Mike Strapko said.


Videos

Photos