As day seven after the ice-storm that affected most of Eastern Canada comes to close there are still about 25,000 customers in Ontario and New Brunswick that are without power, but warming weather in Ontario and a winter storm headed to Atlantic Canada has Hydro workers concerned about a batch of new outages.
As temperatures in Southern Ontario rose above freezing overnight Saturday it melted ice which fell from trees and buildings causing more outages. Toronto Hydro reported about 23,000 people without power Saturday morning, by Saturday night that number was down to 16,000.
Earlier in the day, Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines said the end of the crisis is in sight.
“We’re down to what I’ve described as the hand-to-hand combat,” Haines said. “Really, it’s the door-to-door exercise ... It’s very uncertain because a job that is predictable is not predictable under these conditions.”
In Atlantic Canada representatives at NB Power say that some customers may be left in the dark heading into the new year as the province prepares for another dose of winter weather.
Gaetan Thomas, the chief executive of the utility, said by about 8:30 p.m. local time workers were trying to restore power to roughly 8,550 customers, but it is not an easy task.
“Some of the trees have blocked the roads,” Thomas told local reporters. “So we have to basically plow the roads, cut the trees to even get to the lines.”
Thomas said even with the approaching storm he hopes most customers will have power by Tuesday.
Although, things in Quebec are looking brighter as Hydro Quebec reports only 400 customers are still in the dark.