Canadian tourist dies of CO poisoning: Report

(QMI Agency)

(QMI Agency)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:55 AM ET

Police in Taipei say a Canadian tourist died of carbon monoxide poisoning Monday while staying in an illegal hostel in the Taiwanese capital, Focus Taiwan reports.

The preliminary police investigation suggests the tourist, along with five local women, may have been exposed to carbon monoxide leaked from a water boiler fuelled by natural gas, the news channel reports.

After feeling dizzy and notifying police, the five local women were treated in hospital and discharged later in the day.

The Canadian woman, identified as "Lydia," reportedly checked into the three-bedroom apartment in the city's downtown core after arriving in the country on Friday. She was due to return home Monday.

Police continue to investigate and have questioned two tenants who used their apartment as the illegal hostel, the report says.


Videos

Photos