Groceries spark $125Gs kitchen fire

(Ottawa Sun file photo)

(Ottawa Sun file photo)

Ottawa Sun

, Last Updated: 8:39 AM ET

OTTAWA - Bags of groceries left sitting on a stovetop set off a chain of events that ended with a fire Sunday afternoon.

The blaze at 529 Pepperville Cr., started at about 4:18 p.m. The Ottawa fire service says residents had returned from grocery shopping and placed the bags of groceries on top of their stove.

Somehow, one of the bags had hit one of the stove controls and turned on an element. When they stepped back outside for a few moments, the bag and groceries caught fire.

The smoke alarm went off, bringing the residents back inside, where they found the blaze. They tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but failed, so they called 911.

When fire crews arrived at the row house, they were able to knock down the flames in about 10 minutes. Fire damage was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the unit.

Damage, however, is estimated at $125,000 The residents will be displaced until the damage can be repaired.


Photos