TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford didn’t make the invitation list for this year’s Garrison Ball.
But organizers say the lack of an invitation to this Saturday’s gala at the Liberty Grand has nothing to do with Ford’s controversial attendance last year or his admission to smoking crack cocaine.
Ford attended the ball in February 2013. A Toronto Star story alleged the mayor was asked to leave the military gala.
In the wake of the story, Ford denied he was asked to leave the event or that he had a substance abuse problem. Coun. Paul Ainslie maintained he asked Ford to leave the event.
Police documents released in November alleged Mark Towhey, Ford’s former chief of staff, told investigators he believed the mayor was impaired by something at the ball and tried in vain to get him to stay away from the event.
John Wright, chairman of the program committee for the ball, confirmed Ford is not invited, adding “it is no reflection” on last year.
“It has never been a tradition to have the mayor at this event,” Wright told the Toronto Sun Tuesday. “It is a military function — not a civic function.”