RCMP abandons investigation into Nigel Wright

Nigel Wright in Ottawa, November 2, 2010. (QMI Agency, file)

Nigel Wright in Ottawa, November 2, 2010. (QMI Agency, file)

Giuseppe Valiante, National Bureau

, Last Updated: 6:03 PM ET

OTTAWA — The RCMP does not have enough evidence to charge the prime minister’s former chief of staff, Nigel Wright, and it dropped its investigation against him, RCMP Cpl. Lucy Shorey said Tuesday afternoon.

The RCMP had been investigating Wright since June regarding possible charges of breach of trust, bribery and fraud after Wright admitted to giving a gift of $90,000 to disgraced Sen. Mike Duffy.

“Upon completion of the investigation, we have concluded that the evidence gathered does not support criminal charges against Mr. Wright,” Shorey said in an e-mail.

 


Videos

Photos