TransCanada CEO 'disappointed' over latest Keystone delay

TransCanada President and CEO Russ Girling during a news conference in Calgary, Alberta, in this...

TransCanada President and CEO Russ Girling during a news conference in Calgary, Alberta, in this August 1, 2013, file photo. REUTERS/Todd Korol/Files

Dave Dormer, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 2:33 PM ET

CALGARY -- The president and CEO of TransCanada had some harsh words Monday after another delay was announced by the U.S. Department of State for the proposed Keystone XL pipeline.

"We are extremely disappointed and frustrated with yet another delay," Russ Girling said in a statement released Monday.

"American men and women will miss out on another construction season where they could have worked to build Keystone XL and provided for their families.

"We feel for them."

The Department of State (DOS) announced last week it will seek input from eight federal agencies to determine whether the project meets National Interest Determination.

After first asking for the views by May, that timeline is now being extended, according to the DOS, due to potential impacts of a Nebraska Supreme Court ruling which could affect the pipeline route.

"Another delay is inexplicable," Girling said. "The first leg of our Keystone pipeline began shipping oil to refineries outside of St. Louis in 2010.

"It is about the same length of pipe as Keystone XL, carries the same oil and also crosses the 49th parallel. "It took just 21 months to study and approve.

"After more than 2,000 days, five exhaustive environmental reviews and over 17,000 pages of scientific data, Keystone XL continues to languish."

Girling said the Keystone pipeline has safely delivered more than 600 million barrels of crude oil to U.S. refineries.


Videos

Photos