Canada to debate its response to Nigeria, but not until Monday

Foreign Minister John Baird speaks during Question Period in the House of Commons on Parliament...

Foreign Minister John Baird speaks during Question Period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa May 7, 2014. (REUTERS/Chris Wattie)

Jessica Hume, National Bureau

, Last Updated: 5:20 PM ET

As other countries prepare to help find hundreds of kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, possible Canadian help will have to wait at least another four days.

Parliamentarians decided Thursday to hold an emergency debate Monday on Canada's response.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird announced earlier in the week that Canada had offered the Nigerian government surveillance equipment and Canadians trained to use it.

Baird said Canada would not be sending military equipment to a foreign government for its own use.

Last month, Islamist group Boko Haram kidnapped 276 Nigerian schoolgirls from a remote and dangerous area of the country.

Boko Haram leaders have said they intended to sell the girls. On Thursday, reports suggested the group might be open to trading the hostages for comrades in prison.

This week, the U.S., France and the U.K. said they would aid in Nigeria's search for the girls.

 


Videos

Photos