Commissioner orders internal review into fatal Moncton Mountie shootings

Members of the public file past the caskets of the fallen RCMP constables Monday at Wesleyan...

Members of the public file past the caskets of the fallen RCMP constables Monday at Wesleyan Celebration Centre in Moncton. (REUTERS)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 4:57 PM ET

A retired senior Mountie will head up an internal review of the fatal shootings of three officers by a suspected lone gunman in Moncton last month.

Commissioner Bob Paulson appointed former assistant commissioner Phonse MacNeil to look into the events of that day to find out what, if anything, could have been done to prevent the deaths.

"The scope of this review will be wide-ranging and include such areas as whether the accused's actions could reasonably have been foreseen; our initial and longer-term response; our training; our tactics; our support for our employees and families; and our equipment," Paulson said in a June 25 internal communication obtained Thursday by QMI Agency.

Constables David Ross, 32, Fabrice Gevaudan, 45, and Doug Larche, 40, were shot and killed June 4 after responding to a call about a man with a gun. Constables Darlene Gouguen and Eric Dubois were injured.

Justin Bourque, 24, has pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

"Clearly the death of our three members in the course of duty and the near deaths of many others demand that we seek to fully understand the facts, learn from them and, if required, change our practices promptly," Paulson said in the statement.

He also said the review can be done without "interfering" in the separate criminal proceedings of the case.

Paulson said Canadians need to "prevent our communities from producing more offenders like this."

"If there are opportunities to get early warnings of this new form of radicalization from our communities we need to pursue them," he said.

 


Videos

Photos