Cheap BBQ brush leaves woman hospitalized

Rob Gibson, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 6:18 AM ET

CALGARY - A Red Deer, Alta., woman had to undergo two surgeries and spend a week in hospital after wire from a cheap barbecue grill brush ended up in her food and lodged in her throat.

Kim Schellenberg wants other people to be aware of the potential hazard,

"It's not something that ever crossed our minds," Schellenberg said. "It went from just this thing caught in my throat to the ability to kill you, that's when they decided to go in from the outside."

Schellenberg now has a four-inch scar on her throat.

The wire bristle attached itself to a hamburger and before Schellenberg knew what was happening, it was too late.

She tried to get the bristle out herself but the pain was too much, so she asked to be taken to the hospital.

Problem was Red Deer no longer has an ear nose and throat specialist so they had to go to Calgary.

By the time they reached the hospital the wire had worked its way further down Schellenberg's throat.


Videos

Photos