Magnotta documentary postponed on the eve of trial

Luka Magnotta. (PHOTO TAKEN FROM HIS PERSONAL WEBSITE LUKA-MAGNOTTA.COM)

Luka Magnotta. (PHOTO TAKEN FROM HIS PERSONAL WEBSITE LUKA-MAGNOTTA.COM)

Michael Nguyen, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 5:58 PM ET

With the trial of alleged killer Luka Magnotta just three weeks away, Bell Media has cancelled its broadcast of a documentary on the defendant because the film violates a publication ban.

The French-language Canal D Investigation show had been promoting "Luka Magnotta: Sex, fame and murder" for a premiere next week.

The trailer link was inactive as of Thursday.

"We're confirming that the documentary will not be released, it will be (shown) at an unspecified date," Bell Media spokesman Nathalie Roy said.

"We would not want it to interfere with the trial."

Canal D's trailer had said the documentary "provides a comprehensive portrait of the one who captured the whole world's attention with a story as complex as it is fascinating."

Toronto-born Magnotta, 31, is charged with the murder and dismemberment of Chinese student Jun Lin in May 2012.

The former porn actor has also been charged with mailing body parts to Liberal and Conservative offices in Ottawa, as well as to two Vancouver schools.

 

Videos

Photos