Three teachers hurt in Quebec high-school cafeteria explosion

Breakfast with teachers took a dramatic turn, Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, at a school in Levis, where...

Breakfast with teachers took a dramatic turn, Monday, Aug. 25, 2014, at a school in Levis, where three teachers were burned in an explosion. NICOLAS LACHANCE/QMI AGENCY

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 1:44 PM ET

LEVIS, Que. — Three teachers were burned, one seriously, when a propane burner exploded Monday in a Quebec school cafeteria during a breakfast to mark the start of classes.

It happened around 9:30 a.m. at Envol high school in Levis, Que., just south of Quebec City.

Local police said someone was filling a propane burner with gas when the device exploded.

One teacher suffered burns to his face, arms and torso. He was transported to hospital in serious but not life-threatening condition, say police.

Two other teachers suffered less-serious burns and were also taken to hospital. No students were in the school at the time.

It wasn't immediately clear if the explosion would delay the start of classes which were scheduled to begin on Friday.

 


Videos

Photos