Luka Magnotta film to be released in 50 countries before, during trial

The poster for Sex, Fame & Murder. (Handout/QMI Agency)

The poster for Sex, Fame & Murder. (Handout/QMI Agency)

Brian Daly, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 3:16 PM ET

MONTREAL -- A new documentary on alleged dismemberer Luka Rocco Magnotta will play in at least 50 other countries outside Canada, QMI Agency has learned.

That's exposed potential difficulties in enforcing the publication ban issued last year on any evidence ahead of highly-publicized trial set to begin Sept. 8.

Sex, Fame & Murder was pulled from the lineup at the Montreal World Film Festival last Friday, a day before its scheduled premiere.

Bell Media had announced two days earlier that it would voluntarily delay its debut of the documentary on French-language Canal D. Like the film festival, Bell cited the publication ban in its announcement.

Sex, Fame & Murder includes an interview with a British journalist who testified at Magnotta's preliminary hearing last year.

The film also includes comments by a close friend of the victim that are similar to what the friend said at the hearing.

Details of the murder and exhibits tabled as evidence are also part of the documentary.

Sex, Fame & Murder will be released in the United States, the U.K. and elsewhere before and during Magnotta's trial, Toronto-based sales group Distribution 360 said in an e-mail.

"It's already played in the Netherlands and Norway," added Naomi Hiltz, who directed the 43-minute film.

Hiltz denies her film would jeopardize Magnotta's right to a fair trial.

She claims Montreal police violated free speech in seizing a copy of her documentary on Saturday at the film festival.

Police deny Hiltz's claim but Sgt. Laurent Gingras says major-crimes investigators served the festival with a court order Friday.


Videos

Photos