|A look the some of the firearms seized from 30 Virgilwood Cres. in Barrie. (Barrie Police/HO)
BARRIE, Ont. — A neighbour says he was told a bunker found on the property in the north-end of the city during a cold case investigation was meant to help the man who lived there and his wife survive the end of days.
“I didn’t know about the bombs or the guns, but I knew he was storing food and water, that sort of thing. He was planning for Armageddon,” said a man who lives near the home of William and Renata Feldhoff.
The neighbour, who asked not to be named, said he had spoken with William Feldhoff about the large 10-foot x 18-foot x 6.5-foot bunker and understood it was for shelter for Feldhoff and his wife.
On Wednesday, police said bomb squad members have found 29 guns in the bunker and basement of a house where 80 bombs have already been removed.
Const. Angie Butler said the two crews of investigators working simultaneously in the bomb shelter and basement at the home found the guns, including rifles and automatic shotguns.
Investigators initially responded to the house as part of a cold case investigation into the murder of Michael Traynor, 26, in 1978.
William’s son, Donald Feldhoff, 54, is charged with first-degree murder and William, 75, is accused of being an accessory.
Traynor was found with his wrists and ankles bound with copper wire. He had been shot twice in the chest.
Police say Donald confessed to the killing, but warned them there could be trouble at his parents’ house. That’s when police investigated further and discovered the bombs and guns.
Many of the firearms in the home are restricted and further charges are pending, police said.
Nearby residents in this city north of Toronto have been forced from their homes since last Thursday.
The city has agreed to pick up the tab if people are still displaced from their homes after Thursday, which police have said is likely going to be the case.
“This is a very unique and unusual situation. Supporting our residents during this difficult time is very important to the City of Barrie,” Mayor Jeff Lehman said.
Up to and including Thursday, accommodations and food costs for the evacuees will be covered through the Memo of Understanding (MOU) with the Canadian Red Cross.
After that, the city will take over as the sole financial provider for evacuees, but aid will still be facilitated by Red Cross volunteers.
Barrie police Const. Angie Butler said there’s no chance of the investigation wrapping up Thursday.
“We’ll still be here Thursday, for sure,” she said. “It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when we’ll be done here. But, it’s safe to say it’ll be after Thursday, definitely.”
- with files from Nicki Cruickshank