July 18, 2012
Bail for girl accused in dumpster beating
By James Turner, Winnipeg Sun
WINNIPEG — A 15-year-old girl accused of attempted murder after a man was beaten and left to die in a garbage bin has been released on bail after spending a week on remand at the Manitoba Youth Centre.
The girl, who has no prior criminal history, was one of three youths charged after a 23-year-old man was found clinging to life under some garbage on July 7. He was rushed to hospital and remains in critical condition having suffered multiple injuries as a result of the attack, inflicted on him by people he knew, police said at the time.
The girl, and two 17-year-old boys (one of them her cousin), were arrested and held in custody.
The motive for the offence remains murky, and police and the Crown remain tight-lipped about why the man was beaten and dumped.
A relative of one of the accused told QMI Agency the victim was beaten up to prevent an assault of some kind.
Court records show the victim was previously charged for assault and uttering threats stemming from an unrelated case on Nov. 20. He also faces charges of failing to comply with his own bail conditions and failing to turn up in court in January.
The Crown consented to the girl’s release during a brief hearing this week.
No facts of the case were read into the record.
A judge placed the girl on a number of strict conditions, including a supervised bail management program for youth which will include a daily curfew.
The teen is also barred from having any weapons or consuming any illegal drugs, booze or medications for which she doesn’t have a prescription.
Until her case is dealt with, she’s forbidden to have contact with her two co-accused and the victim.
She’s due to return to court in mid-August.
The others charged in the case remain in custody.