TORONTO - A second man faces charges stemming from last month's mass shooting during a barbecue at a housing complex in the city's east end.
But neither of the men in custody is accused of firing the bullets that killed two young people and wounded 23 others on July 16 at the outdoor party on Danzig St.
Shaquan Mesquito, the latest to be arrested in connection with the worst public shooting Toronto has ever seen, was allegedly armed with a loaded .22-calibre revolver when he was yanked off a TTC bus and arrested July 27.
Toronto Police say the 18-year-old was charged that day with an assortment of firearms related offences.
But he's also accused of threatening to hurt people at the Danzig townhouse complex, near Morningside Rd. and Lawrence Ave. E., on the same day as the party Ñ but before the bullets started flying.
"The uttering threats charge stems from information that was learned through the Danzig St. shooting investigation," Const. Tony Vella said Wednesday.
However, Vella said that "investigators have interviewed witnesses and at this time there is no information to suggest the accused was at the Danzig St. shooting scene.
"There is also no information to suggest the firearm seized from the accused was used in the Danzig St. shooting."
More than 100 people are believed to have attended the barbecue, which began that afternoon as a kids party and became a bash for adults as night fell.
A gun battle erupted around 10:40 p.m., sending partygoers running for their lives.
Shyanne Charles, 14, and Joshua Yasay, 23, were killed.
A 22-month-old boy was shot in the head.
Nahom Tsegazab, who was among the injured, was charged with the reckless discharge of a firearm two days after the shooting.
It's believed the 19-year-old was the intended target.