September 6, 2012
Mass shooting survivor shot again
By Chris Doucette, QMI Agency
TORONTO - A 17-year-old boy who was among the wounded in the mass shooting at a Danzig Street housing complex earlier this summer survived yet another gun attack last weekend, QMI Agency source says.
Toronto Police remain tight-lipped about the victim's connection to the July shooting that left two dead and 23 injured. They did confirm three youths are in custody facing a slew of charges after Sunday's "attempted murder" at another east Toronto housing complex.
"It is alleged that a 17-year-old boy was riding his bike ...," police said Wednesday of the 4:30 p.m. shooting near Victoria Park and Finch Aves.
"(A gunman) saw the victim, pulled out a firearm and shot (him) in the upper left thigh," police said, adding the gun "malfunctioned" and the victim was able to "escape."
Police said the injured teen ran home and his mom took him to the hospital, where he was treated for "serious but non-life-threatening injuries."
Police executed a search warrant Monday at a home in northeast Toronto and allegedly found some cocaine.
A 17-year-old boy, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested on drug charges.
On Tuesday officers searched another home on Danzig Street -- a townhouse that was at the heart of the July 16 mass shooting -- and allegedly seized a loaded 9mm handgun and cocaine.
Avion Gooden, 18, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with six offences, mostly firearms related.
That same day cops also arrested a 16-year-old boy and charged him with attempted murder as well as 15 firearm, drug and other related offences.
A source says that teen, who can't be named, has ties to Nahom Tsegazab, one of the 23 hurt in the Danzig Street shooting and the first to be arrested in that crime.
The 18-year-old was initially hospitalized and then charged two days later with reckless discharge of a firearm.
The only other person charged in the Danzig Street bloodbath is Shaquan Mesquito, 18, who faces an assortment of firearms-related offences.
He was allegedly armed with a loaded .22-calibre revolver when police yanked him off a TTC bus July 27.
Police have yet to lay murder charges for the deaths of Shyanne Charles, 14, and Joshua Yasay, 23, who lost their lives in the worst mass shooting in the city's history.