|One of the parents of Baby M is lead into the backdoor of the Al-Rashid Mosque after funeral services in Edmonton Alberta on Saturday, September 22, 2012.(QMI Agency/PERRY MAH)
EDMONTON - Police have still not upgraded the charges in the death of a comatose toddler who was taken off life support last week.
"The charges have not changed at this time," Michelle Davio, of Alberta Justice, said Tuesday.
Police allege that the Algerian-born parents severely abused and neglected their twin two-year-old girls, who were found "severely malnourished" May 25 in their Edmonton home.
While one of the girls has since recovered, her sister, referred to only as "M" in court documents, had suffered cardiac arrest and as a result was hospitalized in a "persistent vegetative state" and completely dependent on a mechanical ventilator and feeding tube for her survival.
The Supreme Court of Canada declined last week to stay an earlier court decision to remove "M" from life support, meaning she would be taken off the ventilator.
Police have said previously that M's death could mean the charges will be upgraded to criminal negligence causing death or the more serious charge of manslaughter.
Currently, the parents, both 34, are charged with aggravated assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessities of life.
A bail review for the couple is set for Oct. 18.