MONTREAL - Sources tell QMI Agency that Montreal Mafia don Vito Rizzuto has been busy since his return to Canada last week, meeting New York crime figures in Toronto.
The 66-year-old was released from a Colorado prison after serving six years for his part in a 1981 mob hit, and was flown to Toronto on Friday.
So far, Rizzuto has decided to not return to his Montreal homebase, which was thrown into chaos following Rizzuto's arrest in 2004.
His father, son and several associates have been killed in the past three years, reportedly by Toronto-area rivals.
But sources have said Rizzuto also has allies in Canada's largest city, along with relatives.
Former Montreal police investigator Richard Dupuis tells QMI that the Mafia landscape is not the same as it was in 2004.
"In eight years, organized crime and changed, as has its methods, networking and support," said Dupuis.
Rizzuto could try to make peace with his enemies, seek revenge for recent assassinations or simply retire, though analysts say the latter option is unlikely.
Meanwhile, Montreal police are keeping a close eye on "Rizzuto Row," the line of north-end luxury homes that stand as symbols of the besieged crime family's reign.
Officers could be seen over the holiday weekend surveying large homes on Antoine Berthelet Avenue in the upper middle-class neighbourhood.
Several Rizzuto family members built homes on the street in the 1980s including Vito, his father Nick, son Nick Jr. and Vito's brother-in-law Paolo Renda.
The father and son have since been murdered and Renda was kidnapped and is presumed dead.
Vito Rizzuto's 30-year-old stone-faced mansion has been on sale for more than a year and his wife recently cut the price by nearly 25%.