Killer ex-doctor seen holding baby while on unescorted leave

QMI Agency found the pictures of killer ex-doctor Guy Turcotte holding a baby on a website.

QMI Agency found the pictures of killer ex-doctor Guy Turcotte holding a baby on a website.

Eric Thibault, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 5:04 PM ET

MONTREAL — Killer ex-doctor Guy Turcotte, found not criminally responsible for killing his two children, is allowed unescorted leaves from a mental hospital and was photographed at a recent family outing while smiling and holding a baby.

QMI Agency found the pictures on a website. They're the first photos published since Turcotte stabbed his five-year-old son Olivier and three-year-old daughter Anne-Sophie to death amid a crumbling marriage on Feb. 20, 2009.

A jury agreed last year with the former cardiologist's claim that he was depressed, suicidal and blacked out when he stabbed his children 46 times in a rented home in Piedmont, Que.

The latest pictures of Turcotte were snapped on Sept. 30 at a family event on Montreal's south shore.

Looking relaxed, the 40-year-old killer posed with one of his sisters' babies.

Turcotte previously told a psychiatric review board that he felt uncomfortable around kids after he killed his own children.

"I was not even able to watch children on TV," he told the board. He has since said his feelings towards children have changed.

His brother and sister told the board last spring they would not have any problem with him seeing their children if he's granted full release.

The board decided on June 5 to keep the killer in the hospital at least until the end of the year, saying he was "very fragile."

Members added that they were concerned about a "real risk of relapse" because of Turcotte's resistance to undergo therapy.

Turcotte will have another chance to get out of hospital when he meets the review board on Dec. 12.

His ex-wife Isabelle Gaston, who worked in the same hospital as Turcotte, has said she would fear for her life if he’s released.

"I’m waiting for this day to come," Gaston told QMI Agency.

Earlier this month, a judge ordered Turcotte to become the first Canadian to be added to the national DNA databank for criminals despite being found not criminally responsible.

The Crown is appealing the verdict handed down last year.

 

 


Videos

Photos