The third man accused in the alleged confinement and sex assault of a teen in Nova Scotia has been granted bail.
John Leonard MacKean, 63, of Lower Sackville, N.S., was arrested in Fredericton on Monday. He is charged with sexual assault and communicating with the purpose of obtaining sexual services from a person under 18.
On Thursday, MacKean, a longtime employee of the Halifax Chronicle Herald newspaper, was released on $1,000 bail, his lawyer Mike Taylor said. The conditions of his release include that he remain in Nova Scotia, except for work purposes, and that he not use the Internet or text-messaging devices, unless for work purposes, and that he stay away from children under 18, with the exception of his grandchildren, who he is able to see only if an adult is present.
His next court appearance is set for Jan. 23.
In late September, a 16-year-old boy turned up at a rural home in Upper Chelsea, N.S., half naked, chained at the ankles and wrists, begging for help.
Police said the young man told them he had been snatched from the street in Halifax, driven to a remote shack and repeatedly raped before he escaped eight days later.
Police initially identified two suspects in the case.
Wayne Alan Cunningham, 31, was found dead about three hours outside of Thunder Bay, Ont., on Oct. 3.
David James Leblanc, 47, was arrested nearby a few days later. Leblanc appeared in court last week facing several charges, including kidnapping, forcible confinement and sexual assault.