|Police cars along Morningside Ave at Danzig Street in Toronto on Tuesday July 17, 2012 near the scene of a shooting the previous night at a BBQ party. (QMI Agency/ERNEST DOROSZUK)
TORONTO - Police on Thursday announced a second man faces charges in the city's worst mass shooting spree.
Nahom Tsegazab was charged by homicide detectives with two counts of second-degree murder.
Tsegazab, 18, who was wounded in the July 16 gun battle on Danzig St., came to Canada as a refugee.
The shooting, which police said involved two rival Scarborough street gangs, left two people dead and 23 wounded -- including a toddler.
Killed in the bloodbath at the east-end housing complex -- following a neighbourhood barbecue infiltrated by Galloway Boys and Malvern Crew gunmen -- were Shyanne Charles, 14, and Joshua Yasay, 23.
Staff-Insp. Greg McLane said the two gangs opened fire on each other to "save face" after a perceived slight when a man was rebuffed while trying to attend the barbecue.
Malvern Crew member Shaquan 'Bam Bam' Mesquito, 18, who was arrested within days of the shooting and charged with one count of attempted murder, 23 counts of aggravated assault and one count of reckless discharge of a firearm, was charged last month with two counts of first-degree murder.
McLane also identified one of two men whose composite drawings were recently released as using the street name "Juvie," slang for someone convicted of offences committed as a juvenile.