|Richard Henry Bain.(PIERRE-PAUL POULIN/QMI Agency)
MONTREAL — Richard Henry Bain, the accused in the deadly election-night shooting at the Parti Quebecois' victory rally, hasn't been evaluated by a psychiatrist because he refused to speak to a French doctor, a court heard Monday.
Bain made a brief court appearance that was interrupted when he tried to read a statement. Guards ripped a piece of paper from his hands and escorted the 62-year-old from the courtroom.
"God bless you all and happy holidays!" Bain said as he exited the room.
His next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 11. Crown attorney Eliane Perreault told reporters that a language spat has delayed a psychiatric evaluation at the Pinel institute in east-end Montreal.
"He didn't want to speak to a female, French doctor," the prosecutor said.
"That's the reason we returned the man to (Pinel) and we will make the necessary arrangements so that he will be seen by someone in English."
Bain faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder, in the shooting death of stage technician Denis Blanchette, 48, outside a nightclub where Premier Pauline Marois was giving her victory speech on Sept. 4.
Bain has made a series of unusual comments in court and to a Montreal radio station, including his desire for Montreal to break off from the rest of Quebec to promote "linguistic peace."
During his last court appearance earlier this month, Bain ranted about how he was "chosen by God...to bring peace to the English and French in Quebec."