|Oliva Valeriote, 10, daughter of Guelph Liberal MP Frank Valeriote sits with members of the Aamjiwnaang First Nation at their blockade on the CN Rail Line. HEATHER WRIGHT/QMI AGENCY
SARNIA, Ont. — An Ontario judge ordered an end to the 13-day blockade of a CN railway spur line Wednesday night.
“We want a smooth, quiet exit strategy,” said Superior Court Justice John Desotti.
CN lawyer Christopher Bredt said he hoped the blockade would be dismantled by 6 p.m. Wednesday.
Protest spokesman Ron Plain left the courtroom for the blockade site with the understanding he would work with the protesters to end the blockade.
Earlier in the proceeding, Plain told the court protesters had been working on an exit strategy that would have seen the blockade lifted by Saturday.
Bredt said if the protesters do not leave he will seek to have the Sarnia police request Ontario Provincial Police assistance to enforce the Dec. 21 injunction issued in Toronto to end the blockade.
A dozen or so protesters have been camping out at a CN railway spur line since Dec. 21. The blockade has attracted national media attention and the anger of industry.
Wednesday’s hearing was adjourned until Thursday at noon to determine if further proceedings are needed if the blockade does not end.