|Christopher Gale leaves the court house during a recess in his trial in London on Friday February 22, 2013.(CRAIG GLOVER/QMI AGENCY)
LONDON, Ont. — A new trial has been ordered for Christopher Gale, 31, who is accused of shooting his girlfriend in the head and burying her in the backyard.
The second-degree murder trial will begin July 8.
His first case ended in mistrial last week.
Gale said his girlfriend Jocelyn Bishop, 21, who had a history of mental illness, shot herself in front of him on June 27, 2010, after they argued about him leaving that morning to have brunch with his parents.
The Crown argued Gale had grown tired of Bishop's mood swings, shot her in the head, then buried her and destroyed the homemade gun, which was never found, to cover his tracks.
Gale at first told both his and Bishop's family she'd run away.
The story changed July 9, 2010, after police cadaver dogs found the body.
In an interview with police, he said he didn't call authorities because he feared he'd be accused of killing Bishop.
His new lawyer is former Ontario Court judge John Getliffe.