TORONTO — Accused drug dealer and Mayor Rob Ford pal Sandro Lisi was freed Friday on allegations he threatened violence against two suspected gang members so he could obtain the video that allegedly shows the mayor smoking crack.
Lisi, 35, was released on $5,000 bail. He is charged with extortion against Mohamed Siad and Liban Siyad — two alleged members of the Dixon Road Blood street gang — from May 16-18.
Another court document indicated Siad and Siyad allegedly tried to sell the crack video to two media outlets, the Toronto Star and Gawker, which ran the crack video story on May 16 and 17.
Outside court, Det.-Sgt. Gary Giroux confirmed to reporters that police have asked the mayor to attend an interview and so far he has refused.
On Thursday, a massive court document, which includes photos of police surveillance and interviews with former Ford staffers, chronicled Ford’s repeated contact with Lisi over several months.
All of the allegations in the document have been sworn to by a police officer but have yet to be proven in court.
Between March and June, the document shows Ford and Lisi spoke to each other by phone 212 times.
The calls spiked around the same time the video story broke.
The mayor’s brother, Coun. Doug Ford, went on the radio Friday morning and dared police Chief Bill Blair to release the video.
“I would like to see this video,” Ford told AM640 host John Oakley. “Let us judge for ourselves, let the people judge for themselves.”
He also criticized Blair for his comments during a press conference Thursday. Blair told reporters he was disappointed by what he saw in the video.
“Yesterday he stepped over the line and he made his personal opinions known to the public and in my opinion it would prejudice any case,” Doug Ford said. “Right now, Rob’s been in front of the jury and convicted by the media. There is no jury in this situation because the chief prejudiced the case as far as I’m concerned.”
Ford didn’t come to City Hall at all Friday while a sea of media sat camped in front of his office.
QMI Agency found the mayor’s Cadillac Escalade along with Coun. Ford’s Lincoln Navigator parked in the driveway of the home of their mom, Diane Ford. Earl Provost, the mayor’s chief of staff, and his spokesman, Amin Massoudi, later joined the meeting.
Pressure is expected to continue to mount through the weekend for Ford to step aside temporarily or resign in the wake of the video controversy. All four of Toronto’s daily newspapers -- including the Toronto Sun -- have called on Ford to call it quits.