Convicted triple killer gets new trial

Calgary police escort Real Christian Honorio, 25, of Calgary, into the Arrest Processing Unit in...

Calgary police escort Real Christian Honorio, 25, of Calgary, into the Arrest Processing Unit in 2009. (Stuart Dryden/QMI AGENCY FILE)

Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 3:45 PM ET

CALGARY -- With no argument from the Crown, Alberta's top court had no difficulty Thursday granting convicted triple murderer Real Honorio a new trial.

Justice Clifton O'Brien noted Crown attorney Josh Hawkes sent a letter to the court last week confirming he was conceding Honorio's appeal.

"In that case the court is unanimous, the appeal should be allowed, the new trial will be granted," O'Brien said.

The court did not need to hear submissions from defence lawyer David Chow in light of Hawkes' position.

Honorio is set to appear in Court of Queen's Bench on Jan. 24 with four other individuals also charged in the Bolsa restaurant massacre.

But Chow said he will have to get a new lawyer before then as he has a conflict with one of the co-accused.

Honorio was convicted in March 2012 of two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree in the Jan. 1, 2009, triple slaying at the restaurant off Macleod Tr. S.

But before he was sentenced to life in prison without parole for a minimum 25 years, new evidence came to light of the Crown's star witness confessing to the crime during an impaired driving arrest in Unity, Sask.


Videos

Photos