SARNIA, Ont. — A man and a woman were sentenced Wednesday for failing to provide the necessities of life to a ninetysomething family member whom firefighters discovered in ill health, surrounded by soiled clothing and wearing a urine-soaked diaper.
David Joseph Desroches, 30, of Sarnia, and a 54-year-old woman previously pleaded guilty for their treatment of the elderly woman between 2010 and 2012.
During a preliminary hearing that ended in March, the court was told Desroches had accidentally set fire to his mattress while intoxicated.
He was living in the senior’s home rent-free in exchange for providing care for her.
Desroches left the mattress to smoulder until there was nothing left but the metal frame.
Another family member called the fire department. Firefighters were shocked by the senior’s living conditions and called police.
The senior was taken to hospital and later transferred to a long-term care facility.