A 25-year-old California woman went to police this week claiming she'd been held captive for 10 years, forced to marry her abductor and bear his child. Here are five other famously long abductions:
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight.(REUTERS/Hennes Paynter Communications/Handout via Reuters)
1. Three young women who'd disappeared in the early 2000s emerged from the Cleveland home of Ariel Castro in May 2013. Michelle Knight, Georgina DeJesus and Amanda Berry were chained up, raped and tortured for a decade. Berry gave birth to her captor's child. Castro committed suicide in prison after being sentenced to life plus 1,000 years.
2. Three women escaped in Nov. 2013 from a home in London where they had been held as slaves for more than 30 years. Investigators said they had been brainwashed and beaten but not sexually abused by the 67-year-old couple who were arrested and charged.
Josef Fritzl.(REUTERS FILE PHOTO/POOL/Robert Jaeger)
3. Austrian Josef Fritzl held his daughter Elisabeth captive in a basement dungeon for 24 years and fathered her seven children, one of which died shortly after birth. Elisabeth was 42 when she was freed in April 2008, and her father was arrested. Her mother Rosemarie had been convinced by Josef that their daughter had run away to join a cult.
Jaycee Dugard talks to Diane Sawyer. (REUTERS/Jill Belsley/ABC News)
4. Jaycee Dugard was snatched from her Lake Tahoe, Calif., home in 1991, at the age of 11. She spent 18 years in a backyard shack at the home of Phillip and Nancy Garrido, where she was repeatedly raped and gave birth to two of her captor's children.
Elizabeth Smart. (REUTERS/Michael Brandy/Files)
5. Elizabeth Smart was 14 years old when she was kidnapped in June 2002 from her Salt Lake City, Utah, bedroom in the middle of the night. Brian David Mitchell and his wife Wanda Barzee confined her for nine months and sexually assaulted her almost daily before police rescued her.