Manhunt in Moncton, N.B., after RCMP officers shot dead

A Codiac RCMP officer drives on with her rear passenger window shattered in Moncton, New Brunswick...

A Codiac RCMP officer drives on with her rear passenger window shattered in Moncton, New Brunswick June 4, 2014. REUTERS/Viktor Pivarov/Moncton Times & Transcript

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 5:52 PM ET

Schools in Moncton, N.B., have been closed and residents are being urged to stay in their homes Thursday morning as RCMP search for a suspect after three Mounties were shot and killed and two others were wounded Wednesday evening.

A manhunt is underway for Justin Bourque, 24, of Moncton.

Police released a photo of the suspect dressed in camouflage and armed with two high-powered rifles.

Throughout the night, RCMP tweeted out maps to residents telling them if they lived within a marked area of the city to stay inside and lock their doors. Roads in the area were blocked and traffic was disrupted.

RCMP tweeted that three officers were "mortally wounded by shooter" while two officers sustained non life-threatening injuries and were in hospital.

Mayor George LeBlanc pleaded with residents to stay in their homes until the suspect was apprehended.

"Terrible sad news for Moncton," LeBlanc tweeted. "Stay indoors and allow police to do their job. Prayers for the families."

 

 

New Brunswick Premier David Alward said he was "shocked and saddened" by the shooting.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife Laureen offered their "deepest condolences" to those affected by the shooting and "offer our prayers for the speedy recovery of those injured."

 

 

Horizon Health Network chief of staff Dr. Dhany Charest said two victims were taken to The Moncton Hospital. They were treated and are in stable condition. The hospital was initially under a Code Orange, meaning all staff were to report to the hospital immediately, but that was lifted early Thursday morning.

Locals took to Twitter Wednesday night with reports of police choppers and cops in riot gear sweeping through their neighbourhoods, prompting Mounties to ask people not to reveal officers' locations.

As the manhunt continued into the night, RCMP asked residents in the search area to turn on their outdoors lights.

Pictures of the gunman circulating online show a white man in his 20s or 30s clad in camouflage and carrying two rifles.

 

A Facebook page for a Justin Bourque in Moncton features a number of posts about guns and cops.

The most recent post, written just before Wednesday night's shooting spree, are lyrics from the Megadeth song, Hook In Mouth: "Don't try to fool us, we know the worst is yet to come./ I believe my kingdom will come."

Two friends commented on the post, one saying, "f--- buddy" and the other saying, "You knew this wasn't the answer."

 

 

 

QMI Agency cannot confirm the Facebook page belongs to the shooter.

A self-described citizen journalist, who goes by @Newschaser2 on Twitter, reported that two Mounties had been shot, including a female who was "shot twice in the head," but QMI Agency has been unable to confirm that information.

A woman named Heidi James tweeted that she's hiding in her bathroom with her severely autistic five-year-old son.

"Now someone's in the woods behind our house," she wrote. "I'm hiding in bathroom, too afraid to look out."

 

 

 


Photos