Justin Bourque pleads guilty in Moncton Mountie killing spree

Court sketch of Justin Bourque, the suspect in the fatal shooting of three RCMP officers in...

Court sketch of Justin Bourque, the suspect in the fatal shooting of three RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B., in court Friday, June 6, 2014. (Veronick Roy, Special to QMI Agency)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 4:20 PM ET

Justin Bourque, 24, pleaded guilty Friday to murdering three Mounties and trying to kill two others during a shooting spree that put the city of Moncton, N.B., on lockdown for two days in June.

The Moncton resident was expected to face trial by judge and jury before entering the surprise plea in Moncton court.

He pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.



Pallbearers carry the casket of one of three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers who were killed last week during a regimental funeral in Moncton, New Brunswick, June 10, 2014. (REUTERS/Mark Blinch)

Click here to see photos of the RCMP memorial


He could face consecutive life sentences for each murder charge, with no chance of parole for 75 years.

Bourque was arrested after a 30-hour manhunt between June 4 and June 6.

The entire city was on lockdown, with people hiding in their homes while Bourque, armed with two high-powered rifles and clad in camouflage, was on the lam.

During the rampage, Bourque killed constables David Ross, 32, Fabrice Gevaudan, 45, and Doug Larche, 40, and injured constables Darlene Goguen and Eric Dubois.

Witnesses said they encountered Bourque while he was armed and wandering around Moncton, but he made no attempt to shoot them.

His Facebook was later discovered to be plastered with anti-police posts.

"I never took him seriously, but he always said he wanted to go out with a bang and bring people with him," his friend Caitlin Isaac told QMI Agency in June after Bourque was officially charged.

"He's always seemed to have a problem with authority."

He was deemed fit to stand trial following a psychiatric assessment at the end of July.

His psychiatric evaluation report is covered by a publication ban.

RCMP said Bourque will be back in court Oct. 27 for victim-impact statements and sentencing.


Click on the graphic below to see a timeline of the case:


Videos

Photos