Toronto mayor released from hospital

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. (QMI Agency File Photo)

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. (QMI Agency File Photo)

Maryam Shah, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 7:34 PM ET

TORONTO — Mayor Rob Ford has been released from hospital.

The Toronto mayor went to the hospital late Tuesday night after eating something that irritated his throat and stomach. The 43-year-old underwent a number of tests during his stay.

The mayor did not address the media Thursday, but just before he was released at 3 p.m., his mother, Diane Ford, said he went through a “tough time” but he is “expected to make a full recovery.”

The mayor’s brother and city councillor Doug Ford said Rob was in good spirits when family visited him, asking for the Toronto Sun so he could do his football picks.

“The doctor said he’s a strong guy, he has a strong heart, and he’s in good shape,” Doug Ford said, adding jokingly that the brothers get some heat for their weight when they visit the doctor.

The mayor attempted to lose weight in a Cut the Waist campaign earlier this year. Rob Ford weighed 330 lbs at the start of the campaign, and pledged to drop 50 lbs, but when he dropped out in May, had lost just 20 lbs.

The mayor’s office said he was “anxious to get back on the job.” He is said to have kept up with his work while in hospital, reviewing documents from bed in a picture tweeted by his press secretary George Christopoulos.

This is not the first time the mayor has been in hospital while in office.

In February 2011, the mayor had to undergo a procedure to break up a kidney stone. He also had surgery 10 years earlier for a kidney stone.

In July 2009, when he was a city councillor, Ford went to the hospital with “excruciating pain” and ended up having emergency surgery to remove a tumour from his appendix.


Videos

Photos