TORONTO — A day after he called the media a bunch of "sucky little kids" who "lie through their teeth", Coun. Doug Ford called reporters a "bunch of pricks."
Ford refused to stop for a swarm of journalists Monday to clarify his comments made on Newstalk 1010 Sunday and Mayor Rob Ford's claim that journalists are "pathological liars."
The Ford brothers even lashed out at Newstalk 1010, during their two-hour show on Newstalk's airwaves.
"All you guys have burned your bridge so I have no comment," Doug Ford told reporters as he left the budget committee meeting Monday.
Ford refused to say what he believed journalists were lying about.
"We're going to continue saving the taxpayers money, that's what we're going to be doing," Ford said.
The usually outspoken councillor repeatedly refused to stop for reporters.
"At least I'm accurate, unlike you guys," Ford said. "I don't have the time of day for you guys.
"I have the time of day for the taxpayers and reducing the size and cost of government and saving the taxpayers money."
As he walked away from reporters to his City Hall office, Ford muttered "bunch of pricks."
Coun. Adam Vaughan — a former reporter — said a "shouting match" with the media isn't in anyone's best interest.
"It's more important to talk about the business of the city and the ways in which the city can be moved forward and should be moving forward," Vaughan said.
"Rather than debating about whether or not you like the latest editorial in this paper or that radio station or with this TV report, let's get back to work."
Vaughan turned the Fords' radio comments into a joke and handed out buttons to reporters that say, "I'm a little, sucky kid, who whines and cries and moans...and a pathological liar."
"It is no one's interest to continue this sort of screaming match between members of the media and elected officials," Vaughan said.
Coun. Peter Milczyn said he wouldn't comment on the name-calling between the media and the Fords.
But Milczyn said he believes last week the mayor had a "very successful" mission to Chicago.
"And I don't think the media was playing up Toronto's success story as much as you could have been," Milczyn said. "Politics aside, councillors aside, the media could have been talking more about what a great place Toronto is to invest in and do business in."
"The media could have been a bit more of a booster for bringing jobs to the city," he added.
A few hours later, Ford apologized for the remark. Here’s a rundown of what he said on the phone:
“My comments were made in the heat of the moment and out of frustration.
“I didn’t mean to offend anyone.”
“Instead of constantly focusing on stories that do nothing to advance the interest of Toronto residents, I just wish that in the future City Hall media would concentrate on some of the many positive accomplishments with respect to economic development, city building, the city’s budget and labour that are happening at City Hall every day.”